Victoria Art Galleries & Museums
The art scene in town is thriving, vibrant and diverse. Nowhere is that more evident than in the Victoria art galleries and museums that are home to every type of creative expression from Canadian historical art to Indigenous art and everything in between.
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
Art galleries, which are sometimes referred to as art museums, are either public galleries (where they may be non-profit or publicly owned) or they are private galleries. Private galleries are a commercial enterprise and the art is for sale. Both types of galleries may host temporary exhibits or traveling exhibits that have been borrowed from elsewhere.
Public galleries will usually charge an admission fee, to help cover costs. On the other hand, commercial galleries rarely charge admission and usually make their profits by taking a portion of the art sales.
Many private galleries choose to represent artists exclusively, giving them the chance to show their artistic creations regularly.
Emerging artists frequently display their works in small restaurants and cafes, at area markets or throughout the inner harbour area. This is a great way to get exposure without significant expense.
Victoria Art Galleries (listed alphabetically)
The descriptions of these Victoria art galleries has been excerpted directly from their respective websites or promotional materials.
Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
- 1040 Moss Street, Victoria
- The Art Gallery of Greater Victoria is a public art museum and is one of the larges Victoria art galleries, dedicated to the celebration of art. With vision, leadership and scholarship, they engage and inspire diverse audiences through exhibition, interpretation and stewardship of the collection.
Art in the Barn Gallery
- 4578 Hughes Road, Saanich
- The gallery features paintings, pottery, photography, jewelry, wood and stone sculptures created by local artists
The Avenue Gallery
- 2184 Oak Bay Avenue, Oak Bay
- A place for locals and visitors to enjoy an unsurpassed selection of remarkable fine art by painters, sculptors of stone, metal and wood, ceramic, glass and jewellery artists, the gallery offers a relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff, and an opportunity for everyone to connect with their local art community.
Deluge Contemporary Art
- 636 Yates Street, Victoria
- Housed in the top floor of the city's first fire hall and named to reflect the history of this building and its original inhabitants, Deluge represents a vanguard of visual and media arts in Victoria.
The Eagle Feather Gallery
- 633 Courteney Street, Victoria
- Contemporary indigenous art, including wooden carvings, prints & masks.
- 2170 Oak Bay Avenue, Oak Bay
- Featuring the work of over 100 artisans - original art, jewellery, ceramics & wood
- 537 Fisgard Street, Victoria
- A contemporary art gallery in Victoria's Design District representing emerging and established artists.
- Formerly known as Dales Gallery and Framing Studio
Gage Gallery Arts Collective
- 19 Bastion Square, Victoria
- A group of 22 local contemporary artists; rotating solo and group exhibitions mounted every three weeks in the Main Gallery
- 1806 Government Street, Victoria
- Public art gallery featuring contemporary artists from across Canada
- 2624 Bridge Street, Victoria
- Leaf Modern Gallery is a contemporary art gallery and workshop featuring Indigenous art and fashion
Legacy Art Gallery and Cafe (part of the UVIC art collections)
- 630 Yates Street, Victoria
- The University of Victoria Art Collections consist of some 27,000 art objects which support the teaching and research programs of the University. Features works from the bequest of Michael Williams.
Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery
- McPherson Library, UVIC, Room B-115, 99111 Ring Road, Saanich/Oak Bay
- The Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery is named in memory of John and Katharine Maltwood (1878-1961), benefactors to the University of Victoria. The collection reflects the taste and travels of Mrs. Maltwood and her husband. The collection moved to its current home in the University Centre in 1978 and amalgamated with the University art collection, begun in 1953.
Mark Loria Gallery
- 621 Fort Street, Victoria
- Contemporary indigenous art of the northwest coast of Canada
- Formerly known as Alcheringa Gallery
- 1070 Brookview Drive, Metchosin
- Mercurio Gallery continues to specialize in presenting the work of a significant group of 20th century Victoria artists, including the Limners, and their contemporaries and successors.
- 510 Fort Street, 2nd floor, Victoria
- Open Space is non-profit artist-run centre located in Victoria, British Columbia. Open Space supports experimental artistic practices in all contemporary arts disciplines, acting as a laboratory for engaging art, artists and audiences.
Out of the Mist Gallery
- 1225 Government Street, Victoria
- We are proud to carry on the tradition, begun in the 1860's in Victoria of the first dealers in classic and contemporary Northwest coast native art.
Sean Schuster Fine Art Gallery
- 1223 Government Street, Victoria
- Gallery features the photography work of Sean Schuster which showcases the hidden gems of Victoria’s unique beauty as well as the diverse grandeur of British Columbia’s diverse wilderness
West End Gallery
- 1203 Broad Street, Victoria
- Known for discovering and presenting the finest examples from a broad spectrum of Canadian painting, one-of-a-kind sculpture and contemporary glass art.
Xchanges Gallery & Studios
- 2333 Government Street, Victoria
- Gallery features diverse artists who have been recommended by a panel of professional artists and recognized for their contributions to local culture and expertise in contemporary art
Museums in Victoria BC
BC Aviation Museum
- 1910 Norseman Rd, North Saanich (on the grounds of the Victoria International Airport)
- Limited hours of operation, visit website for details
- Aircraft dating from 1910 to modern times on display including experimental aircraft, a commercial airliner and military aircraft along with helicopters and seaplanes; some hands-on activities
Canadian Scottish Regiment Military Museum
- 715 Bay Street, Victoria; located on the 2nd floor of the historic Bay Street Armoury Building
- Limited hours, call or visit website for hours of operation
- A non-publicly funded regimental museum with displays from the earliest days of the Regiment to present featuring a large collection of Lee-variant rifles. Donations appreciated.
Chinese Canadian Museum
- 10 Fan Tan Alley, Victoria
- The museum honours Canadian history, contributions, and living heritage. Note there are two different exhibit locations - one in Victoria Chinatown and one in Vancouver Chinatown. Donations appreciated.
- 7321 Lochside Drive, Saanichton
- Explore the life and atmosphere of historical Vancouver Island on this 29-acre property. Walk through heritage buildings, view collections of antique vehicles, carriages, farming equipment and steam engines and take a ride on the train!
- Visit their website for more information
- 744 Douglas Street, Victoria
- The museum features a variety of displays and permanent exhibits pertaining to the maritime culture and history of the Pacific Northwest
- 649 Humboldt Street, Victoria
- A specialty museum featuring over 85 miniaturized dioramas
Royal British Columbia Museum
- 675 Belleville Street, Victoria
- The museum collects, safeguards and displays artifacts, documents and specimens of British Columbia’s natural and human history
- 2423 Beacon Avenue, Sidney
- Sidney Museum is dedicated to the history of Sidney and North Saanich and promotes awareness of local heritage through exhibits, programs, and collections including the beloved Lego Exhibition each winter
Sooke Region Museum
- 2070 Phillips Road, Sooke (Visitor Centre located in the same building)
- Local museum that explores the human and natural heritage of the region from East Sooke to Port Renfrew
Every attempt has been made to ensure our Victoria art galleries and museums listing is complete. If you are aware of a gallery or museum that should be included in this list, please let us know.
Jun 03, 23 11:04 AM
Your one-stop listing of all private campgrounds on Vancouver Island.
May 25, 23 02:44 PM
Among the city's most iconic dishes is the classic British staple of fish and chips. Discover some of the best fish and chips in Victoria BC
May 24, 23 08:05 PM
Be prepared before you go in the wilderness with our backcountry first aid kit list.