Churches in Victoria BC
The churches in Victoria BC offer a place of worship for many of the world’s denominations. They also offer a tourist destination for those who seek to experience their rich history and architectural beauty. Visits to some of our spectacular downtown churches are often included in our popular guided walking tours in Victoria. Get details here.
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
Of course, we have churches located throughout the city, but the bulk of the ones with historical significance are located downtown. Therefore, our listing of churches in Victoria BC is proportionately weighted to those in the city’s core.
To learn more about this rich history of churches in the region, we suggest the Pioneer Churches of Vancouver Island and the Salish Sea book.
Our church listing is in alphabetical order.
The Anglican Church of St John the Divine
- 1611 Quadra Street, Victoria
- Find quiet meditation, social activism, glorious music, fascinating learning and a warm home
- Sunday Services: 8:00 am Holy Communion; 10:00 am Parish Eucharist; 7:30 pm Evensong
- Midweek Services: 7:45 am Wednesdays - Holy Communion followed by breakfast; 2:10 pm Thursdays - Meditative Eucharist
Centennial United Church
- 612 David Street, Victoria (at Gorge Road East)
- Centennial underwent it's third name change in 1925 when the Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists joined to form The United Church of Canada
- Church dates to December 20, 1885
- Sunday Services at 10:55 am
Central Baptist Church
- 833 Pandora Avenue, Victoria
- At Central, it is their hope that you find a place where you are challenged and supported to grow spiritually so that you can influence your community and the world
- Established in 1927
- Sunday Services: 10:30 am
Christ Church Cathedral
- 930 Burdett Avenue, Victoria
- One of the most popular churches in Victoria BC that is open daily for prayer, worship, and touring
- Services: seventeen services each week, including four on Sundays at 8:00 am, 9:15 am, 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Please check out their website for weekday service times
- The Cathedral is also open from 8.30 a.m. - 5.30 p.m. every day for quiet meditation
Church of Our Lord
- 626 Blanshard Street, Victoria
- The Church, built in 1866-1870 is an historic Carpenter Gothic church that is designated as a National Historic Site of Canada
- Sunday services: The style of worship depends on which of the three congregations you visit. Visit their website for a short description of each service: Quiet, Family, Classic
- best church domain name: coolchurch.ca (will re-direct to ourlord.ca) and one of the coolest churches in Victoria BC
- 1461 Blanshard Street, Victoria
- Canada’s oldest synagogue in continuous operation; the oldest house of worship in British Columbia
- The cornerstone-laying ceremony took place June 2, 1863
- Shabbat services are held every Saturday, beginning at 9:00 a.m. and ending about noon. Morning minyan is held every Thursday beginning at 7:00 a.m. and ending by 8:15 a.m.
- a modern, conservative, egalitarian and inclusive synagogue
First Metropolitan United Church
- 932 Balmoral Avenue, Victoria
- a diverse, inclusive and vibrant Christian community
- everyone welcome
- Metropolitan United Church and First United Church amalgamated in 1997 to become First Metropolitan United Church
- Services held in First United Church building, constructed in 1913 (one of the oldest churches in Victoria BC)
- two Sunday services each week
- 9:00 am - a weekly Communion service in the Chapel
- 11:00 am - service in the Sanctuary
Glad Tidings Church
- 1800 Quadra Street, Victoria
- Established in 1923
- prides itself on being a "church that looks to meet the needs of the community and provide a central gathering place for the people of Victoria"
- Sunday Services at 9:00 am, 11:00 am and 6:00 pm
Grace Lutheran Church ELCIC
- 1273 Fort Street, Victoria
- Founded in 1909
- "Whoever you are and wherever you are on your journey of faith you are welcome in this place"
- Sunday Service at 10:00 am
High Point Community Church of The Salvation Army
- 949 Fullerton Avenue, Victoria
- everyone welcome
- Community Worship Sunday Service at 11:00 am
James Bay United Church
- 511 Michigan Street, Victoria, BC
- "come as you are" Sunday Service at 10:15 am
- one of the most vibrantly coloured churches in Victoria BC
The Salvation Army Victoria Citadel
- 4030 Douglas Street, Victoria
- an international Christian church whose message is based on the Bible
- motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity
- Sunday Services at 10:30 am
Sikh Temple - Khalsa Diwan Society of Victoria
- 1210 Topaz Avenue, Victoria
- Gurdwara (The Khalsa Diwan Society) was first established in 1912 by the pioneers in the community
- Sikhs have been part of the community since the first immigrants from India came to Victoria in 1904
- visit their website for full list of services and hours of operation
St. Andrew's Cathedral
- 740 View Street, Victoria
- Established in 1892
- crypt located in the basement of the Cathedral with the entombed body of the first Bishop of Victoria among others
- Mass times: Tuesday - Friday: 8:00 am; Monday - Friday: 12:10 pm (Civic Holidays: 9:30 am only); Saturday: 9:30 am, 5:00 pm; (Sunday Vigil) Sunday: 8:00 am, 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 5:00
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
- 680 Courtney Street, Victoria
- Established January 1890
- East Wall windows were dedicated to the memory of Robert Dunsmuir
- World War II memorial windows and the balcony windows were installed in 1946
Ukrainian Catholic Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker
- 1112 Caledonia Avenue, Victoria
- open doors and hearts to the Catholic community in Greater Victoria
- a parish of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Eparchy of New Westminster
- Sunday Service: 10:00 am - Liturgy (bilingual)
- Tuesday-Friday: 9:00 am – Divine Liturgy
Victoria Chinese Presbyterian Church
- 816 North Park Street, Victoria
- Established in 1892 as the first outreach mission service to the Chinese in Canada by the Presbyterian Church in Canada
- everyone welcome
- Services in English, Cantonese and Mandarin - visit their website for details
I hope you enjoy the history, architecture and worship provided by these churches in Victoria BC. To learn more, be sure to book yourself on the next chocolate and churches walking tour.
You may also like:
Top 12 Landmarks
Jun 03, 23 11:04 AM
Your one-stop listing of all private campgrounds on Vancouver Island.
May 25, 23 02:44 PM
Among the city's most iconic dishes is the classic British staple of fish and chips. Discover some of the best fish and chips in Victoria BC
May 24, 23 08:05 PM
Be prepared before you go in the wilderness with our backcountry first aid kit list.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.